Areas of Interest
Economics of Religion
Economic History of Eastern Europe
§ "Religion & Comparative Development: The Genesis of Democracy & Dictatorship", Cheltenham, Gloucestershire & Northampton, Massachusetts: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2018.
§ "Aid in Transition: EU Development Cooperation with Russia and Eurasia", New York: Springer, 2015.
"Plato vs. Aristotle: The Distributive Origins of the Cold War".
With Akos Dombi. "Ancestry, Diversity & Finance: Evidence from Transition Economies".
With Corinna Breyel. "Foreign Agents? Natural Resources & the Political Economy of Civil Society".
- With Ioannis N. Grigoriadis. "The Political Economy of Kulturkampf: Evidence from Imperial Prussia and Republican Turkey", Constitutional Political Economy, accepted
- "Religion, Administration & Public Goods: Experimental Evidence from Russia", Economic Modelling, Vol. 66 (November 2017): 42-60.
- With Jannik Jaeger. “The Effectiveness of the ECB’s Unconventional Monetary Policy: Comparative Evidence from Crisis and Non-Crisis Euro-area Countries”, Journal of International Money & Finance, Vol. 78 (November 2017): 21-43.
- With Zareh Asatryan, Thushyanthan Baskaran and Friedrich Heinemann. “Direct Democracy and Local Public Finances under Cooperative Federalism”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Vol. 119, No. 3 (July 2017): 801-820.
- “Religious Origins of Democracies and Dictatorships”, Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 38, No. 5 (September-October 2016): 785-809.
- With Friedrich Heinemann. "Origins of reform resistance and the Southern European regime", Empirica, Vol. 43, No. 4 (November 2016): 661-691.
- “Aid Effectiveness and Transnational Sovereignty: EU Development Aid as Prisoner’s Dilemma”, Rationality & Society, Vol. 25, No. 4 (November 2013): 489-512.
- “Compromising Islam with Empire: Bureaucracy and Class in Safavid Iran”, Iran and the Caucasus, Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 371 – 382.
- “Aid Effectiveness and Donor Preferences: European Aid Systems in the former Soviet Union, 1992-2007”, Journal of International Development, Vol. 25, No. 1 (January 2013): 45-66.
- “Aid Effectiveness and the Soft Budget Constraint: EU Development Aid to the former Soviet Union”, Economics Letters, Vol. 112, No. 3 (September 2011): 287-289.
With Benno Torgler. “Energy Polarization and Popular Representation: Evidence from the Russian Duma”, Energy Economics, Vol. 31, No. 2 (March 2009): 322-334.
- “State Responsibility and Antitrust in the Energy Charter Treaty: Socialization vs. Liberalization in Bilateral Investment Relations”, Texas International Law Journal, Vol. 44 (1): 45-64.
Book Chapters and Non-refereed Articles
- Review of “Borderland Russians: Identity, Narrative & International Relations”, by Geir Honneland, Palgrave McMillan: Palgrave Studies in International Relations, 2010, Southeast European & Black Sea Studies, accepted.
- Review of “Accidental Occidental: Economics and Culture of Transition in Mitteleuropa, the Baltic and the Balkan Area”, by Lajos Bokros, CEU Press, 2013, Journal of Economics, February 2014, Volume 111, Issue 1, pp 101-103.
- “Energy Restructuring and Social Distribution in the Transition Economies of East Germany and Poland”, Journal of Siberian Federal University, Series: Humanities and Social Sciences, 3 (2011 4): 410-425.
- “Nuclear Power Contracts and International Cooperation: Analyzing Innovation and Social Distribution in Russian Foreign Policy”, in Aggarwal, Vinod and Kristi Govella. 2012. Responding to a Resurgent Russia: Russian Policy and Responsesfrom the European Union and the United States.Berlin and New York: Springer.
- “Effektivnost’ sodeistviya razvitiyu i strana-donor: natsionalnye i nadnatsionalnye sistemy ofitsialnoi pomoshi v Evropeiskom soyuze”, Mezhdunarodnaia Ekonomika 7/2010: 34-47.