5. Arts and Nation-building
5.1 National Museums galleries, events and festivals
Narodni muzej Crne Gore (National Museum of Montenegro)
Narodni muzej Crne Gore (National Museum of Montenegro) consists of Nikola’s Museum (former State Museum), Art Museum, Historical Museum, Ethnographic Museum and the Museum of Petar II Petrović Njegoš, all in the town of Cetinje, as well as the birthplace of Petar II Petrović Njegoš, situated in the village of Njeguši, some twenty kilometers from Cetinje. This complex of museums was officially founded in 1896, the year of enacting the Law on the Royal Montenegrin Library and Museum. It was called the General Museum of Montenegro (since Museums Cetinje, 1965), and was renamed National Museum of Montenegro in 1992.
Umjetnička galerija (Art Gallery)
Umjetnička galerija (Art Gallery) was founded in Cetinje in 1950. In the beginning it operated within the State Library, and then independently from 1952 to 1963, when it was integrated with the other Cetinje museums. During the 1970s, the Art Gallery grew into the Muzej umjetnosti Crne Gore (Art Museum of Montenegro).
5.2 Main Art Events and Festivals
- Ex – Yu Fest (festival of movies from ex-Yugoslav countries), Podgorica
- HAPS – Hercegnovske aprilske pozorine svećanosti (Herceg Novi April theater festivities), Herceg Novi
- Internacionalni muzički festival «A Tempo» (International music festival “A Tempo”), Podgorica
- Internacionalni sajam knjiga (International book fair), Podgorica
- Decembarski dani kulture (December days of culture), Podgorica
- Podgoričko kulturno ljeto (Podgorica’s cultural summer), Podgorica
- Tivatsko kulturno ljeto (Tivat’s cultural summer), Tivat
- Budva Grad teatar (Budva – Theater Town), Budva
- Barski ljetopis (Bar’s chronicle), Bar
- Medjunarodni festival pozorišta za djecu (International festival of theater for children), Kotor
- FIAT Festival Internacionalnog Alternativnog Teatra (FIAT – Festival of the International Alternative Theater), Podgorica
- Hercegnovski “Zimski salon” (Herceg Novi “Winter salon”), Herceg Novi
- Ratkovićevi dani poezije (Ratković’s Days of Poetry), Bijelo Polje
- Cetinjsko bijenale (Cetinje Biennale), Cetinje
- Hercegnovski filmski festival (Herceg Novi Film Festival), Herceg Novi
- Budva Music Festival, Budva
- Lastva festivities, Lastovo, Tivat. This manifestation is held in August, and consists mainly of performances of music and dance.
- International festival of tambourine orchestras, Bijelo Polje
- International festival of folklore, Cetinje
- International festival of clapper music, Kotor
- Susreti pod starom masliom (Meetings under the Old olive tree), Bar. Presentations of books and collections of poetry of children’s writers, fine art and literary works on the topic “Olive, peace, friendship”.
- Entrance – festival elektronske muzike (Entrance – Festival of Electronic Music), Rose, Herceg Novi
Tourist and Other Festivals:
- Podgorički Maraton (Podgorica’s Ultra Marathon), Podgorica
- Vrela zima u brdima (Hot Winter in the Hills), Kolašin, Zabljak, Nikšić, Rožaje, Berane, Cetinje. Tourist manifestation with lots of culturally-artistic and entertaining events.
- Dan Svetog Tripuna (St. Tripun’s Day), Kotor. The festivities in the glory of the protector of the town, Sveti Tripun, begin at the end of January, and end on first days of February. According to the organizers and participants, they can be traced back to 9th century.
- Festival mimoze (Mimosas Festival), Herceg Novi, Tivat, Kotor. Tourist attraction consisting of numerous fiestas, a big carnival, majorettes, as well as the traveling caravan of mimosas.
- Kotorski karneval (Kotor Carnival), Kotor. Traditional masked ball, introspection of majorettes, children’s carnival, promotion of local cuisine, carnival concerts.
- Bokeška noć (Boka Night), Tivat, Kotor. Significant fiesta which from year to year offers various programs, whose goal is the preservation of the rich tradition of Boka Kotorska.
- Dani kamelije (Days of Camellia), Stoliv, Kotor. Local manifestation with program dominated by camelia and its arrangements. During the several days of events the exhibition of the arrangements, the Ball of camellia and the choice of the Lady of Camellia stand out, as well as the range of concerts.
- Putevima Kralja Nikole (On the Roads of King Nikola), Bar, Bijelo Polje. The race is in the program of the international cycling organization and is ridden yearly through many cities in Montenegro.
- Vladimirov krst (Vladimir’s cross), Bar. In June Orthodox, Catholic and Muslim believers jointly carry Vladimir’s Cross to the top of the mountain Rumia, where according to the legend, used to be the Church of the Saint Vladimir.
- Dani Marka Miljanova (Days of Marko Miljanov), Medun, Podgorica
- Dani mladosti (Day of Youth), Tivat. Held on the 25th of May – the birthday of Josip Broz Tito. As a part of the program the Yugoslav anthem “Hej Slaveni” is being performed, and various cultural and entertaining programs, as well as some friendly football games are being carried out.
- Dani Mrkojevi}a (Days of Mrkojevici), Mrkojevici, Bar. Entartaining manifestation whose explicite goal is to introduce numerous visitors and tourists with the tradition, heritage and cultural identity of the Bar area.
- Festival vina i ukljeve (Festival of Wine and Bleak), Virpazar. Promotion of domestic vine growing, national cuisine and “cultural values of Crmnica and Virpazar area”.
5.3 National associations of artists
- Udruženje kompozitora (Society of Composers), established in 1969. Registered as a NGO in 2000.
- Udruženje likovnih umjetnika Crne Gore (Society of Fine Artists of Montenegro), established in Cetinje1946.
- Udruženje samoukih slikara i vajara Crne Gore (Society of Self-educated Painters and Sculptors of Montenegro) founded in Cetinje in 1974. In 1976 it was renamed in Udruženje Izvornih Likovnih Umjetnika Crne Gore (Society of Native Fine Artists of Monetengro).
- Udruženje dramskih umjetnika (Society of Theater Artists) established in Cetinje in 1946.
- Crnogorsko društvo teatrologa i pozorišnih kritičara (Montenegrin Society of Theater Scholars and Critics).