Founded in 1946 at the Country Museum (Zemaljski muzej) in Sarajevo. It was discontinued in 1958, and its staff moved to the Ethnographic Department at the Country Museum.
The tasks were:
Was established in 1888.
It is divided in three sections: Archeology, Ethnology and Natural Sciences. It publishes the magazine Glasnik (“The Herald”), which comes out in three sections: Glasnik Zemaljskog muzeja za arheologiju (“The Herald of the Country Museum for Archeology”), Glasnik Zemaljskog muzeja za etnologiju (“The Herald of the Country Museum for Ethnology”) and Glasnik Zemaljskog muzeja za prirodne nauke (“The Herald for the Country Museum for Natural Sciences”).